Tuesday, September 28, 2010

XBLA - Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Haiku Review:      


Hundred point combos
are easy, choosing Iron Man
and mashing buttons.

Additional Comments:

When I first talked to Sir Iain about beating this game, he was under the impression that this was called "Shark vs. Capcom". Which I thought was pretty hilarious and epic-sounding. That sounds like one tough shark to have all of Capcom pitted against it.

I actually played this game a lot when my friend had this on the Dreamcast (RIP). And even then this game was both awesome and ridiculous. Nothing's changed really, save for some updated graphics and online play. For the most part, this is exactly the same as I remember. What I forgot was how easy this was to make hundred-point combos and how hard the last couple of matches are. Granted, I probably really suck at this game. But the best part about it is that all my friends suck equally as much or even more than I do, so it seems like I'm great at this game.

The premise of this game is really cool (and obvious): many of the characters from the Marvel Comic universe against many of the characters from Capcom games. I remember when I first heard about this, I thought it was a kind of strange mix, but it works. The problem is that, with so many characters, there are a LOT of characters that are foreign to me. Chiefest being Amingo (who is that guy??). But there are many others that they don't need at all. For instance, on the Capcom side, you need all or most of the Street Fighter cast, you need Megaman, Roll, Jill Valentine, and Strider. But who is Amingo and B.B. Hood, and Ruby Heart? On the Marvel side, you need the cast of the X-Men, X-Force, and the Avengers (and enemies). But why Spiral and Silver Samurai and Blackheart and Shuma Gorath? And why two Wolverines? It almost seems like there are characters in here just for the sake of having characters. Many of those ancillary characters aren't even worth playing with because they suck so bad.

When playing this game, you honestly don't need much of a tutorial, really. Pretty much all you have to do is know the buttons for the super combos, because if you have that down, you are pretty much going to win. I'm sure there is probably strategy and such, but if you just mash buttons, you'll be all right.

We're going to start a 10 point rating system (on a five-point scale with half-point increments), so here it is:



Rating:  4 comic hotties out of 5



Nano-rant:

Wait...there was a MvC 1 ??


Nano-win:

WHOA!!  Rogue is SO HOT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment