Monday, October 4, 2010

NES - Bigfoot

Haiku-Review:

tear up engines and
cut your opponent down - it's
monster truck mayhem!

Additional Comments:

Hmm, it's really hard for me to criticize this game in the slightest even whilst knowing it is a game that seems to face some serious derision by gamers. I grew up with this game and as a kid, I freakin' loved it. This game brought together two of my favorite things as a kid: monster trucks and video games. Hell, throw dinosaurs in there too, and then we'd really have something cooking. Of course, playing it now, ok, perhaps it's not the greatest of games - but you know what? Who cares? As a kid, this game delivered everything I wanted: car-crushing, mud-bogging, hill-climbing, tractor-pulling awesomeness with a badass title screen portraying Bob Chandler himself standing next to his masterful creation. Goddammit, this game owned and I played the hell out of it.

Now, it's been years since I've played this game, and in fact, I sort of forgot all about this game. Because of that, it helped give me a slightly fresh perspective on the game - though not by much as I quickly learned that I still knew this game inside and out, even after all these years. And? Ok, I'll bite - yea, the controls are still just as shitty as I remember, the music still scathes with its annoying single-tone, southern rock-styled monotony and I'm still shaking my head over the slap-in-the-face end screen. Yet, just as it was 20 years ago, these are still just minor annoyances that can easily be overlooked - yes, even the bullshit left/right turbo taps on the d-pad with the awkward gear shifts. Of course, for everyone else in the world, I could probably guarantee an opposing response. But that's them.... (And fortunate for you all - I will spare you the music of this game.)

So there it is. Yea, maybe to most, it's a shitty game, but to me, it was a cool game that I absolutely loved as a kid and to my surprise, still enjoyed on my most recent run-through.

Nano-rant:

Despite my cheers, yea, those side-scrolling controls are fucking ridiculous. Prepare to feel some serious pain within your thumbs.

Rating: 3.5 engines out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment