Monday, October 18, 2010

Happy 25th NES!!!

On this day, 25 years ago, the greatest device to hit the video game market was introduced to a small, limited market in New York City. Although, technically, the Famicon was released in '83, it wasn't until June of '85 when North America got its first glimpse of the system and October 18th when we could first get our hands on one. And so, a tip of the hat to what is still my favorite video gaming console of all time.

Myself, I was first introduced to the system sometime in late '87 or early '88, if I recall correctly, through my cousins. I was completely blown away, being introduced to titles like Super Mario Bros and Rad Racer. And if my dates are correct, I would have gotten my system in the autumn of '88, and I still remember hooking it up to a tiny little TV stashed in the corner of my room and playing Super Mario Bros for the first time on my own system. Such wonderful memories....

Now, for the NES's 25th, I thought I'd list my 25 favorite games. These are games that, for me, hold incredible replay value and through the years have been just as fun and exciting to play as the first time I played them.

25. Double Dragon II: The Revenge
24. Tecmo Bowl
23. Little Nemo: The Dream Master
22. Battletoads
21. Dr. Mario
20. Super Dodge Ball
19. Excitebike
18. Mega Man 4
17. Spy Hunter
16. Contra
15. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
14. Legend of Zelda
13. Super Mario Bros. 2
12. Batman
11. StarTropics
10. Final Fantasy
9. Milon's Secret Castle
8. DuckTales
7. Mega Man 2
6. Micro Machines
5. Faxanadu
4. Gauntlet
3. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
2. Mega Man 3
1. Super Mario Bros. 3

No comments:

Post a Comment