Thursday, October 21, 2010

GG - The Lucky Dime Caper Starring Donald Duck

Haiku-Review:

a Lucky Dime crime
pens a tale of wanderlust
for a pantsless duck

Additional Comments:

There's very little to say about this game. Basically, what appears to be Sega's dumbed-downed version of DuckTales, this game is nothing more than a basic platformer that can easily kill an hour or two. It certainly isn't a spectacular game in any account, but it's not the worst platformer out there either. It's just a mildly okay 8-bit platformer using the same old tricks and gimmicks seen elsewhere.

A rather peculiar quirk in the game, which kept me guessing, was that one of the BGM's had a strange beeping sound that would show up every now and then. It sounded so much like a timer countdown that I either expected a Time-Up or something to suddenly explode. Now, from what I understand, the SMS version of the game has a timer for all of the levels except for Stage 1, however, the timer is absent in the Game Gear version - which definitely allows for better analyzation of each new obstacle. So I knew there was no timer to worry about, but it still confused me. Even late in the game when that particular BGM popped up, I still expected the worst. What a bizarre composition.

I also have a sneaking suspicion, based on what I've read, that the SMS version allows for two way level scrolling whereas the Game Gear version is restricted to one way level scrolling à la SMB. Not necessarily an issue, but the way some of the later levels are set up, allowing for exploration, it would definitely be a nice feature to have. I guess it's a fair trade-off though: disabling the timer, but suffering a locked level scroll. Oh well....

Rating: 2.5 dimes out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment