Friday, September 3, 2010

SMS - Sonic the Hedgehog

Haiku-Review:

emeralds in the
open and Scrap Brain - a maze?
oh, absent Spin Dash

Additional Comments:

First, let me start by stating that the Sonic series, in my eyes, is the best platforming franchise ever - period! Unfortunately, the series got all mucked up after Sonic CD as it too attempted the 3D revolution. Sigh. And so it goes. Anyways, having grown up on the 16-bit masterpieces, I never actually played any of the 8-bit predecessors - well, mostly because I never even knew about the Master System way back when (don't know how that system managed to slip by me.  Perhaps like every other kid, I was so tied up with the glory of the NES), and when I finally did come to know of the system, well I couldn't get my hands on one. But, like I said, having grown up on the 16-bit version, it's sort of strange to take a step backwards into the past and play this one through.

My haiku reveals all of the oddities that quickly stuck out to me - granted the Spin Dash didn't show up until Sonic 2, but still, it feels so strange to play without that ability. It's like playing the early Mega Man games before the slide technique was implemented (or even Mega Man 9 - what the heck, man!?). I actually had to play through this game twice since the concept of the Chaos Emeralds being placed right out in the open really threw me for a loop. I felt stupid that I just blasted past them all so willy-nilly, but of course, I didn't expect them to be in plain view either.

Nevertheless, the game is fantastic. Yea, it doesn't compare to its 16-bit brother, but that's not the point. The point is that this game really showcases what an 8-bit game is capable of when pushed to the limits, and it's pretty damn impressive.

Oh, and last but not least, we need some music, and much like my statement regarding the franchise as tops in platforming, so too was it in music. The 8-bit/16-bit Sonic games had some of the best soundtracks around. So, here you go, the charming sounds of Bridge Zone.

Rating: 3.5 Chaos Emeralds out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment