Thursday, September 2, 2010

SNES - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Haiku-Review:

giant swords and forge
lords can best be defeated
with Bowser on board.

Additional Comments:

When this game first came out, I remember seeing commercials for it and thought that it looked amazing. However, I foolishly followed the advice of friends that the game sucked and so I never played it. Fast forward many years: I finally did play it, and I loved it. Although, at the time, I only played up through Nimbus Land and then quit playing - as I typically do with RPG's especially Square-Enix RPG's due to the repetitive nature of their games.  Then, under the guise of Beat All Games, I decided to give this game a go once again, this time, obviously, finishing it.

First off, the game is flat out awesome and basically opened the doors for one of my personal favorites in the Mario universe: the Paper Mario series. The idea of combining the Mario canon into an RPG style game just seems to work so well. On top of that, Square did a great job in keeping with the Mario universe and only mildly deviating with the likes of new creatures - most all of which seem fairly believable that they could potentially have appeared in prior Mario titles to begin with.

And I can't lend praise without mentioning the graphics or the music. The graphics were just beautifully drawn, especially when it came to the towns and each and every character/enemy design. Although, despite everyone's contention regarding Geno, I always thought he looked a little weird. Besides, I never liked using him anyways, preferring a group of Mario, Bowser & Peach (at least, that was my preferred group for Boss Battles). But enough of that, let's talk music. It seems that it is impossible for Square to make a game that doesn't have an amazing soundtrack. Now, for most, I would suspect that Forest Maze would be top choice in song picks, but I'm going to have to go in a different direction, skipping world themes altogether. One of my personal fave tracks, the Boss Battle Theme. This song makes me wish all of the normal battles had this theme instead of the rather bland track they do have (which I think is one of the weakest tracks in the game, and it just sucks that you have to hear it so much).

Nano-rant:

Wait, seriously? Yea, there's some shit that thoroughly pissed me off, but the one I really want to talk about is Square's belief that bosses, especially end bosses, all need to have 10 million hitpoints. Why!? All this does is create two unnerving situations.

One: latter game boss battles take way to goddamn long to do, so long that they just become boring, which in turn makes the game boring, which is exactly the reason why I typically stop playing Square-Enix RPG games - they become fucking repetitive and BORING!!

Two: it typically creates the situation where you absolutely have to use one of your characters for nothing but heals because the fight stretches on for so damn long. And then, which this is a biggie targeted directly at Super Mario RPG as opposed to common Square games, you can only carry a limited stock of supplies, causing you to use up all of your items in a heartbeat, especially in battles that take a minimum of 30 minutes to accomplish. But, for all you nay-sayers who questioned my use of Peach, especially in boss battles, now you know why, item-usage prevention.

Really what it comes down to is, as much as I love this game, the final world is so jacked that it nearly brought down my entire opinion of the game, and that's not good.

Rating: 4 Flower Tabs out of 5

1 comment: