Sunday, September 26, 2010

Arcade - Hotdog Storm

Haiku-Review:

what a misleading
name for a sweet STG -
but where's the turbo?

Additional Comments:

From its quirky name to its surreal title card, there is surprisingly a nicely done STG tucked away inside, albeit it felt to be on the short side. Whatever the storyline or whatever the heck is going on, it doesn't even matter because the game manages to deliver exactly what it needs to: shooting down planes, tanks, spacecraft and other strange, flying apparatuses just for the fuck of it. However, by the time I really got into the groove of the game - properly handling bombs, dodging bullet spray and learning the various boss patterns, the game was over. Dammit, and I was just starting to really enjoy the game. And on top of that, it seemed as though that it sucked up a rather minimal amount of credits. Well, that's more money in my pocket (yes, even pocketing theoretical money is a plus).

Aside from the feeling that the game was over before it even began, my biggest gripe was a lack of turbo fire. Having to consistently punch the fire button in a non-stop canon-fodder STG is bullshit. Now, if there was a turbo fire option available without having to remap the controls, then I guess it's my own stupidity for overlooking it. But nevertheless, considering a release of 1996, I would think that the genre would have been around more than long enough for a game company to realize that on any form of STG, turbo should just be standard, if not an easily applied option. But what do I know, I'm just a player.

All in all, a cool little shooter that's unfortunately marred by a lack of turbo, though I suppose it is fortunate that the screen isn't amassed with countless thousands of enemies at all times so you are able to sneak in a rest here and there - for about a quarter of a second. Maybe in that short span of time you can enjoy some of the soundtrack, or you can just listen to Stage 1 here. Oh, and one last thing, not sure why, but I just loved the interesting landscapes that the early stages contained.

Nano-rant:

Did I mention no turbo = bullshit!?!?

Rating: 3 credits out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment