Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wii - New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Haiku-Review:

face gimmicks galore
in this platforming beast: cheers,
NSMB Wii!!

Additional Comments:

So long I had waited for this game, only to be teased by an original release to the DS. Dammit, what is it with Nintendo pushing all of their best platformers onto their handheld consoles? At the time, I was so furious that after years without a platform based game, when Nintendo finally comes out with one, that's what they present it on. And truthfully, I'm still furious that they continue to do so. Yea, maybe I could buy a DS, or even worse, the gimmicky 3DS that's coming out, but I shouldn't have to. There should be a way that handheld games can be ported to the main console - but, whatever, that's a whole other argument that I could go on and on about.

NSMB Wii - Hot Damn!! This game freakin' rocks. Each level feels so different from the last, and there is stuff packed into this game that continually made my jaw drop all the way up until the very end. Really, I hate to have to say anything disheartening about this game, but there are some issues I have with it. One, though minor, and you do get use to it - the NSMB style physics feel so loose to the point where it makes pit jumping all the more dangerous. Of course, over time, like any game, it becomes second nature, but being so ingrained in the SMW style physics (which in my opinion are some of the best platforming physics out there), it's pretty damn tricky to use. Secondly, as awesome as this game is, I think they could have done so much more but sacrificed a lot to be able to allow the 4-player co-op. Yea, the idea is cool, but the further I got into the game, the less likely the idea of 4-play co-op seemed feasible or even desirable. I just can't imagine doing some of the late-world levels using co-op mode.

Other than that, and maybe a few other minor grumbles, this game was just beautifully done, and from what I've seen and played of the DS NSMB, a definite improvement - though it may not necessary look like such. I also got a good sense of replay value from this game - like most good Mario platformers, and didn't mind having to replay levels time and again to collect the necessary Star Coins for 100% completion.

As far as music, hmm...  The music in the game is good: Volcano Theme for one, but there's something about it that keeps it a stone's throw from amazing or even slightly amazing. Unlike the music found in almost every other Mario game, the music here just doesn't seem to grab you. There's really nothing that's standout memorable. Yea, when I played the game, I thought the music was great, but as soon as I walked away from the game, it's as though the music just completely slipped my memory and succumbed to some sort of vacuum of mediocre melodies. Also, despite the clever and appreciative effect in-game, out of context, the choir stabs are just annoying.

Nano-rant:

Fuck you, World 9-7!!!

Rating: 4 Penguin Suits out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment