Friday, September 24, 2010

SNES - Super Mario Kart

Haiku-Review:

how many other
games do I recall shouting
"I've got winner!" ...none

Additional Comments:

When Super Mario Kart first came out, this had to be the greatest game on the market. I can't even remotely remember how many hours I spent ditching banana peels or chucking red shells, be it on the 1-player mode or dishin' it out against friends on the 2-player mode. Nintendo just did an absolutely bang up job with this game, so much so that a lot of the latter era Mario Karts have had trouble competing, in my opinion. Now, I'm not saying that the latter era ones are crap, far from it, in fact I think Double Dash is probably my favorite one of them all, but all of the Mario Karts that followed, through the introduction of new game design, presented just as many flaws as they did cool features. Of all the games in the series, the first one is the only one where all of the pros vastly outweigh any cons that may even be present - and those that are are damn near negligible. Yea, maybe I could gripe about the rubber-banding, but we're also talking about the SNES here and what was feasible within a 16-bit game world. Besides, the problem of rubber-banding within Mario Kart appears to have grown exponentially over the years with each passing game - which makes no sense at all. Anyways, the point is that this is the only one in the series that I pretty much consider perfect.

Yea, it might be hard to imagine I could label such as game as "perfect" when all the tracks have no elevation or nifty gimmicks, but at the time, that didn't matter and I still embrace its simple nature - especially the Battle Mode tracks. If there's one area that Nintendo has not been able to match since the series' inception, it's the Battle Mode tracks. Ok, Mario Kart Super Circuit and Mario Kart Wii have some good battle tracks, but still, they just don't compare to the original four. To me, the original four served up the perfect intensity when getting together with friends and spending an afternoon knocking each other out of contention; be it through a combination of red shell tosses and tight cornering techniques on Course 4 or wearing a shit-eating grin while waiting for your opponent to get nailed by a wandering green shell while you watched from the safety of a shallow pool on Course 2.

All in all, this game is awesome - everything about it. So in closing: Koopa Beach, the greatest theme/track locale in the game.

Rating: 4 red shells out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment