Friday, September 10, 2010

TG16 - Magical Chase

Haiku-Review:

fabulous curtain
shooter proves the TG's worth -
damn, rough kicked my ass

Additional Comments:

I think growing up, I got to play on a TurboGrafx-16 two, maybe three times over at a friend's house. Other than Bonk's Adventure, I really can't recall what I might have played on those rare but special occasions. Well, having always wanted to revisit the system, I came across this gem of a game. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of curtain shooters, although the Touhou series has certainly turned my opinion around, but this game is freakin' incredible. I think this is hands down, one of the funnest games I've ever played (yea, that's right, the enjoyment level was high enough that I dared the word "funnest"). When I first started playing this game, I just couldn't put it down. And now, well it sucks that I'm completely done with it, because I still want to go back and play it, but alas, I must move on to new games.

What really grabbed me about this game, considering my normal distaste of shooters, is that it didn't stumble into the typical pitfalls befouling normal shooters regarding game environments: either deep space or the Pacific Theater. Instead, you're a witch flying around on a broom, which in a sense, much like the Touhou series, has that certain Japanese aesthetic - although, yea, all of the enemies are just as absurd as any other shooter, if not more so. On top of that, the levels and included gimmicks, if applicable, are all just beautifully done, and a lot of it, in a strange way, made me think of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 or Sonic & Knuckles (think Sky Chase or Flying Battery Zones).

The music in the game is decent, nothing really memorable. Besides, if it is memorable, you don't even really pick up on it since, like in most shooters, you're just spamming bullets the whole time which sort of overpowers the music. But nevertheless, a tune: Second Seal.

Final thought: this is one of those games that rather disheartens me that NEC didn't manage more of a dent in the US market than it did because this game deserves far more recognition than it's mustered to date.

Rating: 5 brooms out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment