Monday, September 6, 2010

SNES - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island


Haiku Review:

The best boss battles!
Yoshi!!!  Thus begins babies
in Mariokart.   :-/

Additional Comments:

When I first played this game, I was pretty young. Probably just beginning middle school, still playing new games on the SNES. When I saw the title "Super Mario World 2," I think I may have wet my pants, because that was one of my favorite games of all time--still is. But my hopes were dashed when I realized that this really wasn't another Mario game. This was a new Nintendo game set in the Mario world, but not Mario World (*confusing*). I think at that time, my brother and I rushed through the game in one weekend and made fun of it the rest of our lives for having babies in it. We were a little bitter.

Then one day I hear that Sir Iain loves this game. Whaaaat? I thought, Is he out of his effin mind?!  Did we play the same game? 

So I gave it another shot, giving it the benefit of the doubt. And, lo and behold, I was blown away!  This is a great game!  Granted, you have to see this game as just another Nintendo game and not a Mario game to not get your hopes up, but it's still a great game! The music is classic Nintendo, the imagination is all there, the levels are freakin' amazing, and the boss battles are some of the best in any Mario/Nintendo game I've ever played. I love the collection aspect of it. You snag the eight red coins, grab five smileyface flowers, and make sure you have have thirty stars. My only gripes about this game--besides the fact that they wrongfully capitalized on the Mario name--was that there's no point in doing a hundred percent in this game. Sure, you get extra levels, but, man, those extra levels are brutal. After getting those...nuthin'. Plus, as I alluded to in my haiku review, this game started a bad trend in Mario Kart games where they felt the need to add babies as additional lightweight drivers. After baby Mario and Luigi, I don't see why they felt the need to add baby peach(?). Nevertheless, I'm converted. This game is dabomb.com.

Nano-rant Review:

I STILL WANT TO BEAT WORLD 2 EXTRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  TOO HARD!!!!!!

Rating: 5 speckled eggs out 5

No comments:

Post a Comment