Saturday, August 28, 2010

N64 - Banjo-Kazooie

Haiku-Review:

item hide and seek -
for completion, fart the eggs
into Jinjo's hole

Additional Comments:

For being as anti-Nintendo 64 as I am, I've always believed Banjo-Kazooie to be an amazing game, and still do. I think what made this game work was the fact that it wasn't originally based on a franchise that started in the world of 2D side-scrollers, unlike Mario, Donkey Kong, Castlevania and whatever else the N64 ruined. But I'm not here to throw stones at that piece of shit console and its side-scrolling defiling guerrilla tactics - though I do have a pile o' plenty just waiting to be thrown. No, I'm here to talk about the greatness that is Banjo-Kazooie.

To me, this is one of those games where you sit back and think, "Sheesh, where do I even begin?" Everything in this game just felt so new, so original. The worlds themselves are unlike any others I've ever seen. Yea, you have a swamp, and a desert complete with pyramids, an ice world, and so on, but they are such incredibly fresh takes on each one of these ideas, especially Click Clock Wood - that world was just brilliant - that this game just stamped its authority all over the books of awesome gaming. And then you have the music - what is it with Rare and knowing how to put together an unbelievable soundtrack that just comes completely out of left field? There's so many options to choose from as an example, so I'll just pick one at random: Freezeezy Peak.

Really, there's just so much I could talk about regarding this game, so much so that I could probably turn this post into a rather lengthy essay, but I'm not going to. I'll just finish up by saying that Rare pulled off a total gem with this game, so do yourself a favor and go play it if you haven't already. And if you have, then play it again!

Rating: 5 Ice Keys out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment