Saturday, December 31, 2011

This One Goes to Eleven

Another year come and gone yet only 34 games pounded into submission. That's only two more than last year! And "last year" was only five months long in regards to Beat All Games! Good grief.... I'd hope for more come 2012, but I already tried that last year and you can see the results. Perhaps I should just ring in 2012 as a hopeful year of gaming disasters. Huzzah!!

Well, with another year gone, it's time to reflect on the past 365 days of games beaten and see which of those stayed on my good side. Honestly, despite such a small list, or perhaps a result thereof, I had a tough time coming up with this year's list of solid performances. I found it unfortunate that I couldn't manage to squeeze a few more titles in there that were definitely deserving of top honors. With the amount of fantastic games I played over the past year, what do you expect? Again, this is a list showcasing those titles that really grabbed me and/or I'd go back and play in a heartbeat due to their unbelievable fun factor and replayability. Previously marked ratings really have no bearing here.

11. Sunset Riders
-While it's by no means a great game, it's one of those rare games that's just a hell of a lot of fun to play and has that classic Konami feel to it.

10. StarTropics
-Sure, it could be touted as the lesser known cousin of the original Legend of Zelda, but there's always been something indefinably enjoyable about this game, despite it's various shortcomings in comparison to the former.

9. Final Fantasy
-Merely for the fact that this game made my opinion of RPG's perform a complete 180°, and that's including my sour predisposition towards turn-based battle systems thanks to Final Fantasy IV (or FFII for those who are still stuck in the foolhardy US interpretation of the FF series), this game easily garnishes a win.

8. Disney's Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
-Yes, it's an incredibly easy and simple game, but it's also a whole lot of fun, and along with DuckTales, Chip n' Dale showcases the topnotch gameplay produced by the marriage of Capcom and Disney during the late '80s/early '90s.

7. ToeJam & Earl
-Anytime a game offers randomized level design is a win in my book, and while I'm not the biggest fan of multiplayer in video gaming, this game nails the concept so perfectly that it always makes me wish I had a compatriot around whenever I fire it up.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
-To me, this game is very much an anomaly in the Zelda franchise, which can be both a good and bad thing, but it's distinct LttP style and somewhat questionable approach to common Zelda devices quickly made it one of my favorites among the various Zelda titles.

5. Mega Man 2
-It's not my all-time favorite Mega Man title - just barely squeaked out by Mega Man 3 - but it's by far the most approachable title in the series, clearly defining the groundwork for the Mega Man franchise.

4. Blazing Lazers
-For someone who's never been the biggest fan of STG's, I've been finding some real gems on the TurboGrafx that have made me rethink the genre as a whole and just like Magical Chase, this game was just pure fun all the way to the end.

3. Do-Re-Mi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken
-I don't know if it's the clever usage of incredibly simplistic, yet thoroughly enjoyable level design, or the fact that it's so aesthetically unique compared to typical stateside platformers of the day, but this game managed to grab me unlike any other SNES platformer has.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-The Zelda franchise as a whole is a terrific gift to games, but there's something wholly special about A Link to the Past - perhaps because, in my opinion, it's the most creatively designed of the series, or perhaps it's because it's sort of the "Last of the V8's," if you will, before the 3D revolution took over (disregarding the handheld titles).

1. VVVVVV
-There's not a whole lot I can say other than this is hands down one of the best games I've ever played, well...ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment