Thursday, December 31, 2015

BTTF2's a Lie!

Seriously! Where's our hoverboards? And not those segway wannabes that someone's trying to pawn off as the next new toy. The mere fact that you're riding around on wheels goes against the very definition of hover! Who's the fucking idiot that took the name for something that's clearly amazing and applied it to something that's clearly stupid and duped the shopping masses into buying this hazardous piece of crap!? Your idea's bad and you should feel bad.

And the way I see it, there's really anything else 2015 to talk about? Oh wait! Games! But, of course. How obvious. Not many games, but enough. Eighteen to be precise. Eh, it's enough to scrap together a top ten for good measure.

It feels like it's been a long year since it seems like eons since I checked off a few of the games on this list. Meanwhile, some of the more recent games failed to make an impression, or rather, made the wrong impression. There's been a good variety of games beaten this year including a personal heavy hitter, and likely my wildest trip into childhood nostalgia. Very few games, if any, will ever invoke the kind of nostalgia that Zork I did. The only games that may have the faintest glimmer of hope: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, Smurf in Gargamel Castle, and the almighty River Raid. Except, I played a brief few minutes of Smurf in Gargamel Castle several years ago as well as running through a couple segments on River Raid so the excitement level will never compare to that of Zork I's when I realized it truly was the same game from so long ago. Sadly, for as much as it was a keynote experience this past year, it narrowly missed this year's list. Oh! Spoiler, for those keeping track.

How can that be, you may ask. But alas, as always, my list is an expression of many factors; most importantly, what game would I genuinely return to for some additional game time? For as much as Zork I amazed me as a general experience, the likelihood of powering it up again is slim to none. Perhaps in another 25 years.

What games did make the list then? Well, let's find out.

10. Tengami
-Ok, maybe the game has little to no replayability, it was far too easy, and ended prematurely, but the overall presentation and experience left me wanting more. Not just more in the game, but more Tengami in general. If a sequel ever came out, I'd be all over it.

9. Ecco the Dolphin
-If there was ever a game that epitomized a love/hate relationshp, it would surely be Ecco the Dolphin. There's so many reasons to throw my arms in disgust, but at the same time, so many reasons to marvel in the aquatic antics of that spry little dolphin.

8. 12 Labours of Hercules
-Proof that casual games can be a blast. I expected a meager amount of enjoyment, but instead I got a game I just couldn't put down until I managed Gold across the board.

7. Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious
-There's no reason for this game to exist as a standalone, however, considering I don't own Forza Horizon 2, I did thoroughly enjoy the arcade-like antics that only the Horizon series can deliver for the few brief hours it took me to finish this.

6. Eighth Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest
-I've gradually lost interest in ROM hacks, namely SMW hacks over the years, however, compilation hacks have always managed to pique my interest as a wide variety of approach and experimentation blossoms within. These VLDCs certainly do not disappoint.

5. Me & My Katamari
-It may have lost some of its luster compared to the original, or even the sequel, but at the same time, it's a Katamari game. As long as the basic principle hasn't changed, I know I'm going to have a blast playing through them.

4. Abobo's Big Adventure
-And here I always thought I Wanna Be The Guy was a fantastic mashup. Abobo's Big Adventure clearly defines what a video game mash up should be. Everything else likened to the genre has mighty big shoes to fill - Abobo's shoes.

3. Mega Man 3
-Long been my favorite among the original NES Mega Man games, and for that matter, all Mega Man games, the Doc Robot stages have always been the standout feature. Many games have tried stage remixes over the years, but I've always believed this is the only game to get it right.

2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
-I'm not sure what I expected from this game, although it looked like a fun and interesting puzzle-like game. Captain Toad absolutely blew me away and I think it's one of the better games Nintendo has come out with in a loooong time (discounting obvious MK and SSB material).

1. Fallout 3
-For me, Fallout 3 is in the running for greatest game ever, which is something because over time I've lost interest in open world games and have generally never enjoyed FPS titles of any kind. Even with its bevy of bugs, crashes and general programming incompetence, everything in this game just managed to click perfectly. And I'm certain there's still an enormous amount of secrets I've managed to overlook throughout the Capital Wasteland.

No comments:

Post a Comment