Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Expect More of the Same Old Gobbledygook

As in, more of the same anniversary nonsense already spoken over the last few years. So instead, forget it. Go read one of the old anniversary posts if you actually have an interest in any of that baloney. Consider me the cynical codger of Beat All Games - well, have I ever been anything but?

Game completion has rather fallen off in the past few months, and motivation to write these long winded opinions has slowly grown tiresome. Proof in the pudding is my last update regarding the Eighth Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest. I finished the game back in early May, began writing the post shortly thereafter, and...here it is three months later and the post is finally published. Truth be told, I doubt I really hit up all the details I originally outlined as I'd forgotten a number of them as time passed. Does it really matter? I'm not going to kid myself. It doesn't.

In a way, Beat All Games is a site for me as opposed to anyone out there who may actually stop by. Consider it a log. I suppose I could just use GameFAQs' database to accomplish the same feat, similar to Goodreads or Discogs, but through Beat All Games, I feel like I can put a far more personal spin on everything - like a literary interpretation of a YouTuber's means of logging and reviews. I'll stay with the channels I'm most comfortable with as a means to personalize my tiny foothold in the already over-saturated market of video game impressions, judgments, and all around critical opinions - the written word.

But with my growing apathy towards continuing Beat All Games' 5000 word essays - actually, that's a bit of an exaggeration; my longest post to date has been 4228 words while my average is still hovering around 1260 words; silly Batman and it's meek 187 word prototype - does that spell doom for this project? I doubt it. I'm fairly certain I'll keep hammering away as long as I'm completing games. Only, since early May, I haven't even come close to completing a game. I've ventured into material that's held my attention for a long time and has no sign of letting up, and unfortunate for this site, end game is sort of a precarious concept. Games like Project Cars, Neverwinter, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Fallout: New Vegas, and Cities: Skylines have all managed my undivided attention, and though I have set goals to signify job well done, I doubt I'll see them for a long long time. But these aren't the only games I've been tackling on an on/off basis. I have a number of games I bounce back and forth between, but my attention span comes and goes. I haven't found a game that's kept my undying attention from beginning to end in a while. Maybe I'm just picking the wrong games. Or maybe the above games have sucked up so much of my time my mind's become fickle when it comes to playing a title in which I could potentially manage completion sometime in the foreseeable future. Ah well.

Maybe I just need to bounce over to something quick and easy, like Mega Man 4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 3 instead of all these lengthy RPGs I somehow find myself playing as of late. Maybe I need to finally do the last few necessary goals I've set in New Super Mario Bros. U, Limbo, or Super Time Force so I can finally write about how great those games are. Or are they?

Maybe I realized Beat All Games has taken some of the fun out of video games for me, and maybe, for the sake of pure, casual enjoyment, it's time to shy away from OCD completion - at least for the purpose of this site and any hope for its future. Shy away from OCD completion altogether? I doubt it.

Anyway, hats off to five years of completionist gaming and unnecessary dissertations.

No comments:

Post a Comment