Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Yearly End Thing

The plan is to make this short and sweet, but I can't do so without first acknowledging my downward trend has at long last been overturned. 25 games completed; up from a miserable 11. I'll take it. And with that, I can return to the web-wide cliché of ten for my year end listing. Huzzah!

10. Sorcery
-An impressive little gem from the Amstrad CPC that has decided to rebel against all known door/key logic. *Shakes fist in a fit of fury*

9. F-Zero
-A classic and absolute must own for any game enthusiast. With perhaps the exception of Super Mario Kart, F-Zero is the definitive racing game of the SNES, and quite possibly the whole 16-bit era.

8. Destruction Derby 2
-From one racing game to another, the Destruction Derby series rewrote the rules when it came to automobile mayhem and Destruction Derby 2 refined that chaos into pure beauty. Bumping and grinding now resulted in dire consequences, or often is the case here: wrecking points.

7. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
-I found out a predecessor existed for this game on Wii Ware just yesterday called Max and the Magic Marker. The Curse of Brotherhood suddenly makes so much more sense to me now.

6. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
-Similar to Link's Awakening offering more Link to the Past styled goodness, SML2 offered more SMW styled goodness for those of us who wanted it - at least more so than Yoshi's Island or Super Mario 64 ever dared to.

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
-If I need to explain myself, I feel sorry for you, the reader. If anything, I should be explaining why it isn't higher than 5th, but I played a bevy of great games this year.

4. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
-What's always amazed me about this game is the sheer leap in platforming dynamics from Super Mario World to this. Too bad Yoshi played protagonist, but fortunately it all worked out in the end. Although, it would have worked even better if the game was simply titled, Yoshi's Island without the nod to SMW. Meh.

3.Baldur' s Gate: Dark Alliance II
-I finished this in 2014? Sheesh... It feels as though years have passed since I knocked this out. However, my memories of the game are nothing but hack n' slash goodness; so much so that I'm damn near tempted to play it again.

2. Dust: An Elysian Tail
-Every now and then, a game comes along and changes my perception on a given genre. Much like the Touhou series taught me the joys of STGs, Dust taught me that Metroidvania games are actually pretty damn enjoyable when done right.

1. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
-Another indie title takes top spot. Should it be any surprise by now? Guacamelee is pure platforming bliss with the perfect dose of aggravating difficulty. ¡OlĂ©!

No comments:

Post a Comment