Wednesday, February 29, 2012

NES - Crystalis

Haiku-Review:

blend element swords;
it's the ultimate virus -
kill the cpu

Additional Comments:

Crystalis is one of those games that I long had a feeling would be unmatched in its gameplay and presentation. I can't exactly pinpoint why I always thought this, but I just had this eerie premonition floating in the back of my mind. Perhaps it was just the name, or perhaps it was in the stones, the wind, or any other device of auspicious divination. I'd blame it on that sweet box art, but honestly, I think this is the first time I've ever laid eyes on it (which is a bit sad, really). But I've always known about the game, and I've always had an itch to play it. Alas, personal ownership and hands-on experience would elude me for far too long. I just recently picked up a copy and was more than eager to pop the puppy in as soon as possible. The only thing holding me up was making sure I had completely run the course with Dark Alliance, and as soon as I could call that game, there was no question Crystalis would be next to face judgment on the chopping block of games beaten.

Right from the start, I knew I was in for something special. Between the combination of the intro story, though it left some lingering question marks over my head, and the opening scene of our hero miraculously smashing through solid rock after being locked in stasis for an undetermined amount of time, I was hooked. And while I always knew the game somehow dipped its big toe in the gambit of RPG-dom, I never quite knew how deep. But ah-ha! A solid action adventure game with RPG elements - I'm so in. Given my report with such titles as StarTropics or the top-down Legend of Zelda's, notably Link to the Past, how could I go wrong? The game immediately stirred up odd abstractions of Illusion of Gaia, or thereabouts, but obviously trapped within the limitations of the NES.

There were a few quirks that I had to grow accustomed to, namely the sword charging, despite its vaguely theoretical similarities to the M-Buster charge ability found in the latter Mega Man games. I quickly adapted to consistently building and holding a charge after every attack, however, unlike the Mega Man games, you had to be standing perfectly still to build a charge. Under casual game conditions, there's no cause for alarm - take a quick three second break and you're good. Boss battles occasionally threw in an unwanted monkey wrench however. Forcing the issue under fire was never exactly easy, but then we're also dealing with a boss battle so it should be expected to push some additional strategy into the mix. Unfortunately, most of the bosses fared on the easy side of the spectrum, especially DYNA, which was a colossal letdown. I was especially frustrated with DYNA's lackluster battle after the intense foray through the Finest Four. And hey, even Draygon put up a fair fight. But sheesh, I came out unscathed on my initial confrontation with the computerized menace. Perhaps Crystalis is just that powerful.

Nevertheless, it wasn't just the game's charge-whilst-loitering that set it apart from say the M-Buster or perhaps Link's ability to fling illusionary swords at full health. Crystalis' weapon system, while not revolutionary by any means, is definitely unique. First of all, there are four swords to be found during the course of play; each representative of a specific element: wind, fire, water, and thunder. Somehow thunder muscled its way into the picture; leaving the commonly regarded element of earth high and dry. Not going to complain though as the Sword of Thunder is one sweet demon cleaver. Add to that the additional acreage with each power tier and you've got gold. Oh! Did I mention the power tiers? So yea, each blade has three tiers of power as well; the third tier producing devastating effects within its element similar to some of Golden Axe's more impressive magic. It'll consume some much coveted magic points, but the trade-off is completely worth it in certain critical situations.

There is a subtle chink in the swords' elemental oeuvre however: palette-swapped enemies. Ok, let me explain. So not every enemy can be defeated by every sword. In fact, most of them are only susceptible to at most two while remaining wholly invincible to the others. I've got no issue with that. Honestly, I applaud it as it forces sword strategy as you explore the various dungeons. Rarely is there a single sword that can annihilate every creature within a given dungeon. While it may sound tedious on the surface, it really isn't. But, as you progress through the game, the presence of palette-swapped enemies - a common method used in games to expand the enemy roster while retaining minimal graphical space which was at an obvious premium in the old cartridge days of gaming - can cause some confusion...or maybe it was just me. Hmm, that sounds a lot more plausible: the breadth of my own ignorant assumptions. I suspected colors were not only representative of power but also of weakness. I can't even count the times that I'd see monsters of a certain palette and think to myself, "Ooh, gotta use the Sword of Fire in this dungeon. What do you mean it doesn't work!?" Even by the end of the game you'd think I'd realize that the various palettes don't mean jack squat. But again, it's nothing to complain about and doesn't exactly hinder the game.

Moving on, something I really wanted to hit up was the magic system. Well, not so much the magic system as it's nothing special - typical Refresh, Teleport, whatever. What jumped out at me though was the spell, Change. The moment I got Change and used it for the first time, I felt like I just got kicked in the gut. What awesomeness is this? Unfortunately, this is the same point where I started overlooking certain quest items such as the Kirisa Plant because I didn't use the spell to its full potential. It was one of those awkward devices that really enhanced the gameplay yet opened up the world far too much in an unexpected direction. Taking on the form of the Draygonian guard, Stom or even Akahana were all obvious, but somehow the girl just simply eluded me. Don't know why and I have to admit I felt downright stupid when I realized what her role was.

Overall, the game did not disappoint in the slightest. I expected a stellar game and it totally delivered. Sure, I berated a few things, but other than the battle against DYNA, it's all just nit-picky ballyhoo. And honestly, the battle of DYNA can slip past undeterred, hot on the heels of an epic gaming masterpiece - so scratch from the record books any and all slanderous downplay of this incredible game. From the gameplay to the graphics to the music - everything just came together so beautifully. And speaking of music, I can't possibly finish without pointing out a few gems such as Wild Fields, On the Mountain, Raging Sea, or Floating Tower.

Nano-Rant:

It took me so long to figure out how to jump with the Rabbit Boots. I roamed throughout Mt. Sabre endlessly before I realized you have to unequip a spell. Dammit!!

Rating: 5 robotic deities out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment